Monday, June 10, 2013

Water Purification - Microorgranisms

I don't believe that the water purifying systems can properly filter every kind of microorganisms. Knowing a bit about microorganism, parasites, bacteria and viruses I know life tries to find its way somehow and if I have to get water from some hideous source in the jungle some small virus (25–300 nanometres) may slip through the filter.

Small Virus

It may not be lethal or it may be lethal to get one of this "living" creatures in the organism, but anyways I don't want to get one while on tour which wouldn't allow me to continue pushing pedals.

Therefore I got the steripen, which uses UV light to kill any living creature in the water by damaging the core of life, DNA.


The steripen should be enough to kill any living creature dwelling water. The UV lamp should lasts for 8000 uses which is 8000 litres of water. In the worst case from part I the 2000 litres filter should last for a year, so the steripen should last 4 years. Again, I won't use the filter systems everyday because water will be available from fresh and clean sources most of the time so one of this should be enough for the journey.

The steripen I got can be recharged via mini USB, so the dynamo hub plays a nice role here recharging the electronics.

As the MSR Miniworks I got the steripen at REI store in the states and a co-worker (thanks Carito) brought it back to Chile.

More theory, and I'm longing for some days to go in  the mountains and test some of the equipment.

For more info about the steripen visit their web site: http://www.steripen.com/ultra/

1 comment: