Saturday, June 15, 2013

I need a medic!! And an anamnesis for the adventure.

Anamnesis: O'car Campos, 26 years old, Born in 1987. Healthy, doesn't take medications. Travels from January 2014 by bicycle the whole South American continent, through the jungle, alone.

I got that Anamnesis from the Physician I visited.
I had been thinking about this post for a week or so but I didn't make the time to post it, finally I made the time to do so.

Two weeks ago I called the vaccination center to get information about the prices of vaccines that I will need and are mandatory in some countries that have jungle.
Countries such as Brazil, the Guyana jungles, and pretty much all the hearth of South America are supposed to request for a certificate proving you got the yellow fever vaccine. The vaccine prices aree high and I had to pay a visit to the physician before getting any vaccine because they need a prescription in order to vaccinate you.

After some talking with the medic I got several instructions on what to get/drink/eat/think if I get sick after eating something bad or if I get bitten by some poisonous snake and some salts in case I need to empty my bowels too often. I also got instructions on mosquito repellents but I doubt the effect will last long with that amount of  mosquitoes around, probably not much and I will end up chewing tobbaco and putting the saliva with tobaco in my face.

After getting a prescription for the malaria and several maps telling me where malaria is I got the list of vaccines to get:
  • Vavilrix: 2 doses only If I hadn't got pox.
  • Twinrix, 3 doses, this is for the hapatitis A and B for life
  • Typhimvi, for the tifus
  • Yellow Fever
  • Verorab, 3 doses, for the rabies
  • Menactra, for meningitis
  • Adacel (dtp), for tetanus, Diphteria and pertussis
So I decided to get immediately shot against Yellow Fever, first of hepatitis series, Meningitis and the tetanus one. I headed to pay for the vaccines and back again with the bill to get the shots to my arms.

Four vaccines early on Friday morning to start properly the weekend and good bye till next month. I need to continue with the hepatitis series and start with the rabies. And I'm still missing the tifus ones. I will become strong against mother nature trying to get rid of me. Or at least I will try to, testing human biotechnology.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you really need all of these? im thinking of getting the yellow fever vaccine when I return to Santiago, its a requirement for entering Nicaragua from Panama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yellow fever is mandatory in most of countries with jungle, if they get picky at the border they mas ask for proof of your yellow fever vaccine which is a certificate they give you once you get the shot.

      The others are highly recommended if you are going to spend time in the jungle itself and moving around drinking water from dubious sources, eating vegetables from farms, and so on. Hepatitis A and B are for that.

      The rabies series are necessary mainly because of dogs that will chase me while riding, which happens even here in Santiago, so if I get bitten

      The tiphimvi is for Typhoid fever, not tifus, my mistake, and it's also for being able to drink water from anywhere in the jungle.

      The dtp one is also useful, but not 100% necessary, you can skip it, I took it because of Diphteria mostly. There was a Diphteria only shot, but the price wasn't different from the one covering tetanus and pertussis also, so I took that one instead.

      I won't take vavilrix, I don't need it.

      and Menactra, there was an outbreak some years ago and I should have gotten the shot at university, but I was lazy back then and never went to get the shot, so now was the time to get it.

      Also most of these vaccines last 10 years only, my last visit to the physician was when I was 5 years old or so, so 21 years later another visit to get inoculated won't harm me much :D

      cheers man!

      Delete