Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Planning The Route - Argentina

Argentina is going to be tough. I plan to start cycling through the town of Ingeniero Palavecini right next to General Carrera lake. From there, there is to head east to reach the Golfo San Jorge. 404 kilometres till the Atlantic to have a rest for a couple of days. I estimate around a week in this first part.

The route in Argentina
I think it's gonna be a drastic change from the Austral Road to the Argentinian Patagonia, once side all green and rainy, and the other dry as a desert.


Carretera Austral, Chile
Towards the Atlantic, Patagonia Argentina

Once I reach the Atlantic I plan on taking the "Ruta Nacional 3" towards Buenos Aires. But first
there is to cross the road between Comodoro Rivadavia and Trelew. 375 kilometers of more Patagonia and no towns in the middle but "estancias".

Then I should reach Golfo Nuevo where I should be able to watch some whales because this place is supposed to be a major nursery and calving ground for southern right whales. (Source).



From the Golfo of the whales I continue up north to reach the Pampa, and finally Buenos Aires with its cattle industry. All this distance from the border in Ingeniero Palavecini till Buenos Aires capital city is 2319.6 kilometers. Cycling around 80 kilometers per day it should take me 30 to 35 days to reach the capital city. Maybe a bit more.

It's a good thing I can stay in Argentina for 90 days without paying a visa and I don't need any special vaccine or permission.

From Buenos Aires I will head north up to cross the Paraná river and enter Uruguay crossing the river of the same name.

From Buenos Aires to the border with Uruguay
Finally from the capital to the border there are 274 kilometres. Around 5 days to reach the border.

In total Argentina will be around 2594 kilometres of cycling from the patagonia to the Uruguay river and the beginning of the jungle heat. Cycling around 80 kms per day in 33 days I should go from border to border. This is not considering the stops I'm going to make in between for resting, getting supplies and getting to know around. In total I think a good number of days to estimate are 60 to 65, so then I can take my time in nice places.

As long as I don't spend more than 90 days in Argentina all will be fine.

The next post will be Uruguay.

Another perspective of the route for Argentina.

In green the longest distance between cities. Comodoro Rivadavia towards Trelew.


No comments:

Post a Comment