Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Uncertainty no more.



On monday I went to talk to the diving guys. Their office is around 15 k away from Punta Arenas. As usual, I took my bike to place because still, after 2 weeks here, I have no idea how to take the buses. Walking and biking is the norm for me and I'll try to maintain it during the winter despite the ice and the wind, unless someone gives me a ride of course.

On my way to their offices I got the first sight of the hills behind the city covered with a thin layer of snow and small spots of snow here and there over the city. It's quite early for snow it seems and lots of folks are saying that this winter will be one of those we will remember in the future years. It snowed most of the morning and the wind was awfully cold. I couldn't help but think about those old days back in Norway and how happy the snow and the coldness make me. I felt like a small kid living the life and laughed like the mad guy I am.

After some minutes being lost, because I decided I won't look at maps anymore but will only ask people for guidance about finding places, I found the office of the diving guys. Patricio, friend with Kanaan received me at his office and showed me the equipment they use for the diving classes and told me a little about what they do and what they are currently working with. We talked about my journey to get here and how I wasn't sure about leaving for taking the course somewhere else. Coti, another of the guys who work for the diving company showed up and I got introduced to him. The usual talking kept on and then I mentioned how I would like to reach Antarctica if I stay around for the winter. Instantly Coti asked if I spoke english and if I knew how to cook, he asked for my number and told me he had some contacts that could have more information that may get me there. Wow, that was unexpected.

We kept talking for a bit more but my decision was already made, IpushPedals will go into hibernation mode for the winter and will turn into IdiveInTheStrait. They gave me so much information in so little time and told me about several places I could go that I felt I had to stay in the area for the winter and maybe a bit more in order to complete the diving courses I want to take. So if I stay in the area, the machinery to reach the white continent now will start to work in order to try to find a job for the next summer season. By then, if everything goes right IdiveInTheStrait will become IsailBoats, lol. But all of those are just ideas of the mind that are not worth of thinking yet. For now, I will stay in Punta Arenas, I will try to find a regular job and earn some money in order to pay all the courses that I will take and start diving by the end of may or the first weeks of june.

Funny thing, the diving courses are given during winter. Usually in the past years they gave the Open Water course in a swimming pool because the suits for that course are wetsuits which don't isolate that much from the coldness of the Magellan strait. This year though, the swimming pool is closed which means we will have to take the dives into the strait. I shall get ready for such experience, eating like a pig in order to gain some fat for my body. Good thing, I already took a swim in the strait to get a sneak peak of what's to come.

Everyone is in the right place at the right moment for some reason. Now that I look back, it's funny how I was lost in my mind and in imaginary things that weren't real at all and all of that jazz made me get confused and were guiding towards what I didn't want at all, for now. It's funny how when I decided I would stop thinking and picturing the future, deciding for things that still weren't real at all and instead I  would throw myself to life, everything changed for good. It's good that everything is clear now and that I am back in track. I guess I had to experience all of this uncertainty  in order to come back to the world of here and now. Good thing all is sorted. It's funny too to look back to the past week and realize how crazy one can go sometimes. I hope I don't forget the lessons.

Until then.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment