Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Punta Arenas and the uncertainty

Several things happened this days I've spent here in Punta Arenas, from taking some days off the bike and hitch hiking to the southernmost point of the continental mass of land till having the bike checked several times because something was wrong with it. I have been thinking what to do with life for the winter season too. I wasn't supposed to get to Punta Arenas in the first place yet here I am. Last days have been kind of crazy but here is a brief of all that has been going on.

Faro San Isidro and the coldness.


Alejandra is from Punta Arenas but she left this city 10 years ago to study at the university in Temuco. She didn't know much of the area and one of the goal of coming back for her was to visit as much as possible before getting into a job so we teamed up in order to do some trekkings and get to know the area. Among all the places we visited we decided to take a trip to the last of the lighthouses in the american continent, the Faro San Isidro, located around 80 kilometers south of Punta Arenas.

Initially I thought about going by bike, but the bike was unrideable by that time so I took some days off the pedaling and decided we would walk our way to the lighthouse.

We left Punta Arenas with not much luck for hitch hiking, after around 15 kilometers of what someone picked us up and we made it before sunset to San Juan, a small village and the last of the villages south of Punta Arenas. We camped at a reddish forest next to a river and with a crazy level of humidity. It was kind of cold too so we tried to make a fire, unlucky us though, all branches, trees, and whatever it was lying around to make fire was so wet, that making the fire was impossible. I decided to make a fire with the nuclear, but even for the stove, the small twigs I found around were too wet to have a good fire, still, we are talking about the nuclear here, not your regular wood stove, so anyways, after sometime, I managed to make a steady fire that allowed me to drop in the wet twigs I had for cooking. With the leftover of the fire we tried again to do a huge fire, but it was impossible. Finally we gave up as it was really really cold and hit the tent to sleep.

We departed really late the next day, but we knew the lighthouse was 4 hours away from our starting point so we took it easy. When I say we departed late that day, it was really late, we woke up around 11 am and ended up leaving our camping place by 2 pm. It was quite weird to sleep that much. Despite having slept more than 10 hours I woke up feeling tired and spent the rest of the day feeling sleepy and with not much energy, quite weird considering I have really active days almost everyday when on the bike.

The walk went quite slow but steady nonetheless, still, we arrived to the lighthouse after sunset which made it kind of difficult to inspect the area and find a nice camping spot. I've been getting used to night talks anyways, and after a couple of rounds to the place I found a nice camping spot to spend the night. The next day would be tough and we needed to rest.

On the third day we were going to do what we were there for; take a swim in the cold Magellan strait waters. We decided this before leaving Punta Arenas, it was a must do once you reach the southernmost point of the continent. Lucky for us, there was kind of a clear sky and a good sun to warm the body, the bad thing, good weather means wind, and winds over here and not your regular warm wind, over here the wind is what makes everything cold. After not much of thinking, Alejandra went really slowly into the strait. I could hear some nonsense and swearing from the distance till her head disappeared under the cold waters. She came out being someone else and thanked the sea for the dive. Then something happened and she went into the water for a second time. Tough girl.

For me, the thing went quite different. As usual, and as the chicken that I am when it's about getting into cold waters, it took me a little longer to get into the strait. I slowly started taking out my clothes in order to get used to the cold winds, which were very cold indeed. Once naked I stared at the sea for a couple of minutes till I couldn't hold it any longer. I ran into the waters and the coldness hit my body at once. It was quite a surprise to notice that once in the strait, the water wasn't thaaat cold or at least that was the initial feeling. I took a small swim and headed back to the beach. It was then when I noticed my knees where purple and I couldn't feel my feet, every single finger was numb. Yep, the water was cold. Instantly after getting out of the water I started shivering and the cold winds splashed against my body. Slowly, because my body wouldn't allow me to move faster I dried myself and put all the clothes I could on. My feet were still numb. Alejandra was already inside a small hut we found and having chocolate to let the coldness go away. Despite the water being soo cold, I thought it would be much much worse. It wasn't that bad and the coldness helped a lot to wake up and get some energies.

After having some soup for lunch to warm up we went for some hiking and ended up doing a night trek, again. The landscapes at this latitude are simply amazing, and quite different from what I was expecting. North of Punta Arenas, the only thing you can find is pampa, but south of the city, trees and forests started to show up. It was quite weird even to see that what I thought would be red and orange colors on the mountains were still a strong green with no signs of going red soon. We reached the now, southernmost point of our walk, bahía del aguila. Quite special place. When we decided to go back to the lighthouse and the hut, the sun was already gone, night trek again. I'm getting kind of used to the night treks and have got some experience in order to not get lost in the woods when it's pitch dark, which is pretty good.

We came back on the fourth day and it didn't take us long to come back to civilization. After taking a bath in the Magellan strait when winter is almost here, you are ready to face whatever comes towards you, so the walk that took us 4 hours the second day, it took us around 2 on our last day. We reached San Juan really early and with such a luck that the first pick-up we saw that day picked us up and in no time we were back in Punta Arenas.








The bike is wrecked.


The rear wheel failed pretty badly before I arrived to town, besides having problems with the inner tube the wheel was also fucked. After a close inspection and having three different guys taking a look at it, they all agreed that I had to replace the wheel, the bad news, none of them had a replacement for me. It took me 4 days to finally find a place where they had an acceptable replacement 2 more days to find a place where they could do the job. Damn it's difficult to find people with enough knowledge about bikes in this latitudes!!. After having the wheel fixed I noticed that there is something wrong with the frame too and the inclination of the wheel, it's biased to one side which may be frame problem or the wheel being wrong, I am not sure and have not had more time to check it. I think I will have to wait till I reach some place with someone experienced who can give me a hand on fixing it.

And now what?


Well, by the time I am writing this I am still in Punta Arenas figuring out what to do. I wasn't supposed to reach this place from the beginning, I was supposed to turn towards Argentina south of Coyhaique and then head north to Buenos Aires to keep on north. But for some reason I came all the way south. I have options for the future but the season is coming fast and soon it will be really hard to keep on pedaling through this area. I could stay here in Punta Arenas though and spend the winter here, but that means getting a job doing something, living in the city is expensive and demanding. I've tried some options already, but so far, I haven't found something interesting to do. It's mostly regular jobs which don't seem interesting at all. Still I am waiting for a response from the ski center they have here in town, which sadly, is not a big thing. They don't have money for hiring now but still the administrator of the place told me she will talk to the main board in order to request budget to see if she can hire me or not. I have to wait for that response and see what I do with life.

Recently I moved from Ale's house to a hostel where I am taking care of some small things in exchange for food and accommodation. I was feeling kind of weird being so many days at Ale's not doing much for life, so I found out about this hostel that needed help and they happily said yes because they needed some things done. So far I've been painting things that needed to be painted and helping in general things around the house. Fair deal for me at least, I do some work in the morning till around 2 pm and the I have the rest of the evening free to do as I please, I get all the food I need plus Internet access. At least I'm feeling useful while I wait for the answer from the ski center.

So for the future, uncertainty is what rules my life. I have no idea what I will do or where I will end up during the winter, which is certain though is that the bike needs to be repaired and I need to do something with life for the winter, after that, it's most likely I will continue pushing pedals.

Till then.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment